How to Crochet the Spike Double Crochet Stitch Videos
Playlist of how to crochet the Spike Double Crochet or Long Double Crochet Stitch
Stitch Abbreviation & Symbol
How to Crochet the Spike Double Crochet Stitch:
The Spike Double Crochet or Long Double Crochet Stitch makes drops one or two rows below the row your working on resulting in a “spike”. This stitch is often called for with a contrasting color to make it more prominent.
Note Make sure to check your pattern to find out how many rows your “spike” will be dropping down.
- With the hook, go down through the previous row and stitch in which your directions tell you to long double crochet.
- Yarn over, pull from the back through to the front.
- Now you have the original stitch loop on your hook, plus the two yarn-over stitches.
- Yarn over and proceed with a double crochet.
- You will see a long stitch at the base of this double crochet. In this photo, it is two pieces of yarn reaching from one row, past the next full and up into the row you are crocheting.
- Continue crocheting according to the directions of your pattern.